Thursday, November 29, 2007

A whirlwind tour to Israel

There is a word in Hebrew that is typical for me, which Shoshy doesn't like: LEHASPIK (to achieve doing or seeing something in a limited time-frame). How else could you see the entire family and many friends in 7 days?
It all started with the doctors objection to my traveling as planned in Dec. for the family reunion.
They gave me a short window in between treatments (while the immune system is somewhat OK) and I grabbed the opportunity with no hesitation.
Monday the 19th was a long day: a few blood transfusions (7:30-13:00), last treatment for this cycle (14:00-16:00), go home (17:00), shower, rest and at 18:00 go straight to Logan for the flight to Israel.
Thanks to our good friends in Bler Travel, we got a business upgrade which was out of this world and very helpful.

We landed in Israel as fresh as if we just made a quick trip to Natick Mall.
The visit itself was very rewarding to me. I felt very good, looked well and as you could guess, I ate a lot. The conversations with everyone were beyond my illness, thanks to the pre-emptive email. It was a good idea to put the news behind before my arrival. Many family members and friends made an effort to come, some from far away (by Israeli standards).
While in Jerusalem with my mom, she taught me a trick how to go upstairs without getting tired. It works. Up to that point I had to rest every 8 stairs, now I can go up 20.
By the way, getting very tired from going up a few stairs is how I found that I have a serious problem.
As Shoshy and I sit in Business Class on the plane to Europe, all kind of thoughts go through my mind. It's called Uncertainty.
I really don't know when will be my next visit to Israel. It really does not depend on me. I am not used to uncertainties and I don't like them at all. Saying 'goodbye' to my dad was hard. He is too old to travel. I know that other family members will probably come to Boston to see me later. Then comes the thought about the next steps in the treatment process, which for sure will be much harder.
Yet, with all the uncertainty and bumps ahead, I am more determined and optimistic in the course I have chosen to fight this battle.I owe this to my self first and to the loved ones around me.
To all the family and friends in Israel, thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Special thanks to my love Shoshy, who never went to Israel on a short notice and never for less than 2 weeks with LEHASPIK in mind. She made this trip a very enjoyable one.
Signing off from 40,000 feet.
Yours,
Guy

4 comments:

Kitrifoto said...

Hey
if you need a witness - I am the one. you are still too fast to me,
it's a waste to ofer you a shot of whiskey ( or 2 or 3 .... ) it was luck that we met at the "old" man's home so I could drink with him. it was absolutley wonderfull to see you both, you look great, and we are waiting for your next visit.
be strong and remember our saying:
"we gonna hang out the washes on the zigfried line... if the zigfried line still there"
salute
the Kitri's

Inbal said...

hey abush,
first class looks like so much fun!

Ah yes, uncertainty can be so difficult. But to stay optimistic, an uncetain future, can also turn out to be brighter than our expectations.

love you. counting days.
inbal

Unknown said...

thank you for another wonderful, and encouraging update

Jacob Geva said...

Ciao caro amico Guy,

Sono felice di leggere il tuo blog. Spero che senti bene adesso e in futuro.

With you again, I have an opportunity to polish a little bit my Italian.
Having knowing you for so meny years (since old Optrotech time) I am shure the you will win this battle, as you have always overcacme all challanges.
I will follow your blog updates and inform the old-timers im my team.

Ciao e arrivederci,
Jacob Geva