Saturday, November 10, 2007

It's a long way to Tipperary, It's a long way to go!

This famous WW-I song was a hit with the soldiers leaving England for the front. It was popular again in WW-II.
I am in the same mood today.
My sudden illness has much in common with this song: it is going to be a long battle, there are many unknowns and the good things left behind. Yet, the spirit of this song is what I remembered well: upbeat, confidence, marching on, optimism and knowing that one day normal life will return.

In the coming weeks, months, years I will have to cope with my illness. There will be ups and downs as in any struggle and I'll do my best to remain positive all the way.

The outpouring of love, concern, sadness, desire to help and cheering from all of you - was overwhelming an I am grateful for that.
Many of you requested to be updated and I respect that. My dilemma was how to do it. Then, I recalled Inbal's blogs from Africa and decided to do the same (but much shorter...).
I am not the guy that likes to share a lot. However in my situation I would like to and this is a nice way to do it.
Having said that, the blog is NOT a replacement to the conventional, friendlier and personal means of contacting me.
Please stay in touch via calling and emailing me and enjoy the blog. i promise to be creative.

Quick update:
As of last Friday I have started chemotherapy: a cycle of several medications (some toxic) to start control the bad cells. I feel well! I also told the doctrors that if after many years in the Navy I didn't throw-up even once, I have no plans to do it now. The number of treatments depends on the feedback from the previous cycle.
Stay tuned.

Yours,
Guy

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Guy,
I think a blog is a great idea to update a large, supporting group as I'm sure you have!
Thank you for including me so I can follow the "march" (relating to the song you've mentioned) and support...
Jacob

Unknown said...

Hey friend !

I would never have thought that you would become a poetic blogger - but now I see from whom Inbal inherited her writing talent ! Brilliant idea to open this site and I will follow it in parallel to the other communication channels. Here's to Fair Sailing !

Barry

Roy said...

Hi Guy,

A blog is a great idea. Thank you for including us in your journey. I personally am proud to be your friend and I am sure we will not hesitate to do anything to support and help.
Know that we will forever be your friends will walk with you the entire road until you declare victory.

Roy and Hanna

Unknown said...

Dear Guy,

The blog is a great idea. We will sail with you along the the whole journey till the VICTORY.

Dror

Unknown said...

Dear Guy,
The first thing I want to do is to give you a B I G & warm hug, so you coming here, to Israel, is a good idea. Please keep up with this spirit & we will too. Looking forward seeing you,:) Tova

Kitrifoto said...

Hey (or I should hail ? )
You sure knocked us down, not for the first time - but with a PANTZER?
A schmeisser would be enough don’t you think?!
You want us to sink? Admiral Dunitz? NO WAY!!!
You are a fighter, we all know that – so…..
“109er 10 o’clock” take it down the krout –
I can hear your flat HA HA HA HA with teary eyes.
Now – stand up, knock your heals Admiral and wave up the battle flag
We are your sailors we are behind you – aye aye sir!!!!!!
And as you have finished your mail with a song – so will I
Sing all together :
“we’r gonna hang our washes on the zigfrid line, if the zigfrid line still there.
Love you so very much
Danny Yaffa & the girls

Unknown said...

Guy,

This blog is a great idea! Please keep sharing your beautiful insights.
Have a great trip to Israel- I look forward to seeing you when you get back!

Very best-
Stew Levine

Anonymous said...

Hello Guy,

A note to let you know you have Tom & Amelia, here in Vancouver, solidly in your corner. There is a stool for rest between periods but there never has been a towel so one cannot be thrown in. We look forward to cheering when your arms are upraised.