Friday, July 3, 2009

Getting my independence

Tomorrow is July 4th – US Independence Day.
Today, July 3rd, I am getting my independence!
After 24 days in the cocoon, I will be released. I can’t wait to go home.
It has been a lot tougher than I anticipated. Managing the mental side was relatively easy: small room, nothing exciting, etc.
The complications came from an unexpected angle: food and drink. Shortly after getting in and the two rounds of chemo, my appetite went bust. As a result, since June 13th I wasn’t able to drink or eat on my own. I still can’t drink or eat as we speak!
The alternative is getting everything through the veins. In addition I didn’t feel well most of the time, with occasional vomiting, etc. Not a pretty picture.
On the positive side I was very lucky to have my family support. Everyone came to see me: Shoshy, Inbal, Pierre, Neta and Lior. At least I had good company and support at times when the spirit was low or during other periods where help was needed.
After negotiating with the doctors we came with a plan: go home and continue to get the liquid and food infusions at home! The logic was simple: I am certain that at home I’ll feel a lot better and will start to drink and eat on my own.
So, in a few hours I’ll go home with a great hope that all this infusion business will be a matter of a few days only.
Going forward, I will have to come back for periodic check-ups. At home I’ll have to maintain some isolation guidelines which are part of the recovery process. My numbers look good and we hope for the best.
So this is it, one more chapter is winding down and a new one will start soon.
Yours, very optimistic,
Guy

5 comments:

shoshi alon said...

welcome home my L O V E

We ae all waiting to see you bloom at home.
love
shoshi


M U S H K o o D U N

Unknown said...

Good luck Guy and get well.

Shlomo Pongratz

Wiezman said...

You made it to the rough part. Good luck and welcome home.

Rafi said...

Welcome Home Guy.

BeTeAvon...!!!

-- Rafi Yahalom

Reuven Goldshtein said...

Dear Guy.
I'm realy happy to read your progress step by step, mile stone after mile stone.
You are getting lot of help
from GOD you are being blessed by him.

Yours
Robby