Saturday, July 11, 2009

One more hurdle

Dear all
I am back at home, sweet home. Needless to say, it is muuuuuuch better than any hospital. The family support was much needed. They came to be with me every day and it was so good.
Shortly after being admitted, the chemo messed up my digestive system so bad that I could not eat or drink on my own.
As a result I got everything through the veins. The last week in the hospital was difficult. I felt the need to get out. Three weeks was more than enough. I started to negotiate with the doctors the conditions to go home. Usually they don't like to discharge patients in my condition who will have to rely on home care with IVs for food and fluids.
Finally they agreed and this is how I managed to get home.
As we speak I still can't eat or drink (although I very much want to). This is an unpleasant hurdle on the way to recovery.
Every day I get a 2L bag of nutrition through my vein and a bag of liquid too. The process is easy and I can do it myself or with the great help of Shoshy and Inbal. The challenge is to manage the occasional pain and nausea.
Now the question is how long? I need the time to let the digestive system to recover. I don't have a clue as to how long.
On the positive side, my numbers look great. As a result, all the severe restrictions are somewhat relaxed and I am more free to go out, see our friends, etc. The weather here is beautiful, sunny and not too hot. I take 1-2 walks a day and in general try to spend time outside in our beautiful garden.
July is a month of transition. Soon, Lior will come back from Israel, Pierre and Inbal will leave for France for a month and Neta for Spain for three months. In September everything will change again: Lior will go to college and Pierre and Inbal will move to Uganda.
This is the quick update for now. Pictures next time.
Let's hope that by the next update I'll be able to drink and eat on my own!
Yours always optimistic,
Guy

4 comments:

Cleo said...

hi Guy!
i guarantee you, you'll be most blessed by sharing us your thoughts & ups & downs.
soon, sushi will be served!
warm wishes from the Tzahala folks ":-)

Kitrifoto said...

Hello Brother
there is no place like home, sweet home. I am sure that the come back will help you to get your strength
back asap,especially with blessed family like yours.
we are always with you
hugs
The Kitri's

lior said...

if only you where in israel and you could smell all the salads and shuarma you would be hungry!

Unknown said...

Hi Guy

Mickey from Hovlim Caf Daled writing.
I am reading your blog and trying to reconcile the person I knew with your writing . The same strength and the same cool. I am sure that with your kind of optimisim and "coolness" (is this a word?) - You will get out of it strong and soon.

I will keep reading ....


Your Friend from old times

Mickey