Sunday, June 21, 2009

The point of no return

In every trip, by air, sea or others, there is a point where you can't go back (usually it's fuel).
As I started my last phase of the treatment in an isolation room, I felt like a pilot who crossed the point of no return. However this is for a good reason with a plan to safely land in remission.
After settling down in the isolated room, it looked to me that the next 2 weeks will be easy.
I was totally wring. Right after they started with the 2-day aggressive chemo, everything changed: nausea, weakness, loss of appetite, sour throat, stomach pains and occasional throw-ups.
The past 3 days were the roughest.
The purpose of the treatment is to bring all the systems to a very low point and allow the new stem cells to do their work. A little more than a week ago, I saw my stem cells going back into my system. It was sort of an anti-climax. Going through 20 months of treatments is all for the very important 20 minutes of getting back the good stem cells.
The last 3 days were the bottom of everything.
I felt like barely alive. I haven't had almost any food in 5 days.
Today the numbers start climbing. I still feel crap but better.
It is now D+9 and I hope to go home in D+15 (less than a week from today).
Shoshi, the girls and Pierre come to see me every day and it is important. When I can, I talk to a lot of people over the phone and Skype with a camera.
I hope that from this turning point I can better stay in touch.
Today is a special day: it is Father's Day and also Shoshi's and my 31st wedding anniversary!
I can't even start t0o describe my feeling to Shoshi, it is too personal. If there is one thing that kept us together in good and bad times, is the fact that we are still the best friends.
Now I have go rest. Even writing this short update was a challenged.
All the best to you, happy Father's Day and stay tuned for even better news.
Yours with optimism,
Guy

4 comments:

Reuven Goldshtein said...

Shalom Dear Guy.
I'm full of belive and trust in GOD who will bring you to full remission. I keep on praying to GOD in every ocasion to guide you and the team to your remission.

Following your updates in the blog with care.

Yours
Robby.

Kitrifoto said...

Dearest Brother
our eyes are on the radar screen 24/7 to get your signals,and we succeed quite not bad.
we are following you and pray for you and we are all sure that you are going to get to your home port safe and sound.
we are waiting to hear the seargent majors' whistle when you get to the shore.
talk to you soon
hugs love you
Danny Yaffa and Fam.

Inbal said...

nice update. you are doing great.A few more days and you will feel better. love you.

Unknown said...

Dear Guy,

with all this ...
and still clean-shaven?!?

Keep on fighting. You can lick this.

With admiration,
Ralph