Sunday, May 31, 2009

Reflections

The next few weeks will be very intensive and this requires me to update you more often. As usual, let’s get first done with the medical update. The game of numbers can be a bit nerve wrecking. After a steady drop in Igg (the criterion for progress), I suddenly had a regression (the numbers went up again, but only once). In addition, I had all sort of stomach issues for the past two months, which really difficult, painful and didn’t help. It got to the point where I was hospitalized for 4 days. Before I describe the hospital adventures, a few words about the plan. Last Friday I started the preparations for the stem cell transplant. This is the end-game process I have been waiting for a year and a half. The whole purpose of the long treatments was to arrive to this point. It looks simple: for a few days I get injections (I do it myself) to induce growth of stem cells. Then, this week for 6-7 hours every day, I will be hooked up of to machines for stem cell harvesting. When they have enough (a few millions stem cells), they’ll put them in the freezer for later use. Then on my D-day 9 June (less than 3 days after the anniversary of WWII D-day), I’ll go back to the hospital for the stem cell transplant. In this process I’ll be locked in for three weeks (!!!) in an isolated room with positive air pressure and restricted access. The transplant is simple: the first 2 days I’ll get a very aggressive chemo to completely kill the bone marrow and the immune system and on the 3rd day I’ll get back my own stem cells through a blood infusion. From that point on it is a waiting game until the bone marrow is slowly rebuilt. Without an immune system I’ll have to be very careful not to catch anything and for this reason I’ll be locked for 3 weeks. Even the immediate family who’ll come to see me will have to put on gowns, gloves and masks. The success rate of this process in recent years has been good. Since it takes the immune system about a year to rebuilt, the game isn’t over after the 3 weeks in the hospital. The following 1-2 months at home will have to be under tight control of minimal visitors and restricted access. Since my immune system will undergo a ‘hard reset’, I will have to get all the vaccinations after a year as if I was just born! It is a start with a clean slate. We got a huge binder from Dana Farber with all the information about the stem cell transplant: before, during and after. Most interesting is the nutrition section, especially which kind of foods I will be NEVER allowed to eat. Some of them are my favorites: Sushi and grapefruit. At least they didn’t list all the Vafla, Metzupim and other sweets. So this is the plan and I am sure it will be fine. Spending three weeks is a small room will be a challenging mental exercise and after that, everything else should be easy. Back to last week’s hospitalization. Because the doctors wanted to run an array of tests on my stomach, I wasn’t allowed to drink and eat most of the time. The conclusion was that one of the chemo I was getting from day-1 (for over 15 months!) has known side effects and was the main suspect for my problems. Lucy for me I had this setback at the very end of my treatment, actually the last week of the planned treatments. If this had happened a few months ago, it would have been a major setback. The treatment would have stopped and the recovery delayed. During the four days in the hospital (I had my own room with a view), there were a few joyous moments and some important experiences. This was a great model exercise for the three weeks to come later in June. I had to think how to handle the planned three weeks of solitary confinement later on. The conclusions were simple: I must make a schedule and routine, stick to it religiously, take care of myself (shave, be clean, etc.) even when I feel lousy do work, read and be in touch with the outside world. I didn’t invent this. I once read a book about American POWs in Vietnam. Schedule, routine and tasks, kept them going forward in horrible conditions. My good friends came to visit me and we had our weekly Bridge game in the hospital. Inbal came and took me for a walk on a sunny afternoon. We discovered a nice park nearby. Shoshi brought me the things I like including some REAL food! Lior came to see me and gave me a Kenken book (the next thing after Soduko). Some of my friends joked why I stayed 4 and not just 2 days. A few of the nurses on that floor looked like they were taken out of the Vogue magazine… Last week I had a busy Tuesday with many tests to determine readiness for the stem cell transplant. As usual the most painful but important one was the bone marrow biopsy, which is drilling into my heap bone to take a sample. It is done by numbing the area and is really very painful. Luckily, on Friday I got the results and it is a GO for the June 9th transplant.
Since I’ll be locked in one room for the next 2-3 months (at hospital and later at home), I am trying to get out as much as possible, see friends, eat outside, visit places, etc. After the transplant I am not allowed to eat outside for six months. With the blessing of my doctor, I “drowned” myself in Sushi! The weather here is great: mostly sunny, a rain here and there and everything is green and blooming. My mother came from Israel for a week in time for Neta’s graduation and to see us. It was a great visit. Neta just graduated from Umass Amherst. We all drove to Amherst to attend the graduation which took place in a stadium (see some pictures below). It was a perfect day. Parking and transportation were well organized, the crowd of families and relatives (some 16,000) filled the stadium, the ceremony wasn’t too long, the speakers didn’t bore us with too lengthy speeches and even the weather was great. I was moved and touched to see Neta graduating. She did it on her own: registering, changing courses, finding housing and moving, working in parallel to studying, and more. Kol Hakavod Neta!!! As Neta just graduated from University, Lior is about to start university. Lior will graduate from the Needham High School in a week. My scheduled 3 weeks at the hospital were planned to start on June 7th and I postponed it by two days to attend Lior’s graduation on the 8th. Ten days ago Inbal took me to a baseball game (Boston Red Sox). Although the game is boring, it was a fun afternoon at the park. First of all, Boston won! The atmosphere was great. Thanks to my friend Andy, who 2 years ago took me to a game in Minneapolis, I even understood what was going on (and with Inbal’s help too). To avoid the huge crowd on the train, we escaped after the 8th inning. To enjoy the last few weeks where I was able to be outside and meet with friends, we go to every BBQ party, take short trips in the area and just go to see friends. In the pictures below you can see some of our outdoor activities: going to see flower gardens, butterflies, memorial day ceremony in Needham, Neta's graduation and the baseball game.

As I am about to start the final recovery phase, it is a good time to look back and reflect on the past year and a half. I call this process Reflections. The most difficult part was the period of the treatment when I didn’t see the end or the start. During 2008 my numbers went up and down and it was a mental challenge to keep an optimistic spirit. Driving to Boston very early in the morning was especially a challenge during the freezing winter. Rolling out of the warm bed before 7 am into a frozen car is not that comfortable. However, the great support of my family was unconditional and served like back wind in my sails.
Now for some useless and funny statistics - from late Oct. 2007 when I was diagnosed to date:

579 – days since I was diagnosed and started treatments
103 – round trips to Boston for treatments, totaling over 2000 miles
60 (at least) – Dunkin Donuts coffees bought on the way to the hospital
$1300 – spent on parking
130 – IVs (or needles) went into my arms
12000 – my Igg when it all started, a Dana Farber record high, twice outside of the scale! (up to 1600 is normal, 6000 is a very sick person)
4 – painful bone marrow biopsies
3330 – pills I took since starting treatments (average 6 pills per day)

And on this statistics note,
Ciao to all of you.
Next update will be from the cocoon in the hospital.
With even more optimism,
Yours Guy












5 comments:

Potentially Optimistic said...

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you. All the best Miri Olin

Cleo said...

Hi Guy!
You are too good with your statistics which is as good as your optimism!!!
CARRY ON!
Queen of Egypt

jquater said...

Hi Guy,
We wish you all the best and good luck (b'Hatzlacha)!!!
DJQ

Linds said...

You are amazing, Guy! Best of luck this week! I'll be thinking of you :)
-Lindsey

irenemik said...

Hi Guy,
I just met some old friends from Orbotech who updated me on the old and good "guys". I read your blog and your optimism gave me a new perspective in life. I admire you and wish you all the very best.

Very warm regards,
Irene Mikenberg