Saturday, April 12, 2008

About test results and waiting for them

I can't believe that more than 5 months of treatments have gone by.
This week was an important one. As I completed two cycles of clinical trials (the last 10 weeks), I had a series of tests to determine progress.
One of the tests was a bone marrow biopsy. It's a short procedure, but very painful, where the doctor uses "Home Depot" tools to drill a small piece of the heap bone for analysis. This is my 3rd test of this kind. Luckily it is a short procedure. As part of the clinical trials, the medical team asks the patients to do a bone marrow biopsy after every 2 cycles. It is not mandatory. I agreed and It is in a way my contribution to the research for a cure.

As the anxiety for the test and its results was building up, the suspension, the unknown, the what-if questions, got me like any other person in a similar situation.
I recalled my early university days, running to the bulletin board to look at my exam results.
When you think about it, life is about many tests and confronting the results.

Needless to say, in the case of my present illness, test results have some very serious implications.

To cut the story short, I got the results and they show progress!

I already know and witnessed that progress is neither predictable nor linear.
And so I take it with satisfaction that the direction is positive and at the same time I know that the road to recovery is a long one and prepare myself for the ups and downs to come.
Many friends ask me "how much more time with treatments?". Nobody knows. It is a closed loop process in which periodic tests determine the course of action.
I feel that my body is strong, my spirit is positive and I am optimistic.
Therefore, it will take a few more months or a bit more and at the end, as planned, we'll have a nice party.

Summer is around the corner and along with it the travel season.
Since the treatment's results are good, I will continue to have my weekly appointment (every Tuesday) at Dana Farber in Boston. If the results were not good, they would have given me a 2-3 weeks vacation and start with another clinical trial. This would have allowed me to sneak a visit to Israel.
So the good medical news are bad news for my travel plans.
Since the priority is to get me healthy again, I accept the curfew.
Shoshy and the girls will start their pilgrimage to the holy land in May.
Yours
Always optimistic!
Guy

3 comments:

Reuven Goldshtein said...

Shalom Guy.
Thanks GOD you are making progress on your way for recovery.
Tracing your updates is daily based. Wishing for your success on your way.
Always praying for you and wishing to meet you at the end of the road in good shape and open for new adventures that life will bring to you.

Happy Pessah and Kasher.

With great blessing
Yours
Robby

tal ariel-shani said...

Hi Guy and Hag Sameach.
just got the mail from dany updating us on your situation.
all that comes into my head is how you manneged to orgenize our 50th class reunion in israel, almost or mainly on your own, all from the u.s while we here acting as your "little soldiers".
Now what i'm thinking of is how can one act as a "spldier" from down here in Israel and keep your spirit lifted?
Happy to read there is progress, I do believe it will keep on.
My heart and prayers are with you and will be in touch soon, tracking you all along.
Be well and strong and remember that there are a lot of us counting on you to arrange our 60th class reunion.
All the best and big love.
Tali Ariel (tula)

Unknown said...

Back from Pesach vacation, checked in on you to see how your festival was. Keep us updated.
Like in the movie "It's a Wonderful Life" it is heart-warming to see all the people who visit here whom you have touched during your adventures.
Refuah Shleimah!